Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Staying On Top

Well...I'm back in the hospital and felt the need to communicate with those who follow this blog.

For several days I felt like I was carrying around a load on my chest. Immediately I thought about Congestive Heart Failure and thought I needed to get this checked out. Well, my nephrologist whom I had an appointment with immediately called my hematologist and they thought that I needed to be admitted. Overall I feel pretty good. What this underscores is the need to have a good team of Docs.

This brings me to my second point of discussion. What happens to those of us with SCD between pediatric/young adults and that transition period before middle age? Do we fall through the cracks before seeking care? Do we have to face a life or death situation before we find a doctor? Do we seek a quality doctor/patient relationship only when we have to? Or, do we actively seek improvement to our quality of care and quality of relationships with our caregivers? What do you think?

If you know someone who needs quality care....help them get it!

No comments:

Post a Comment