Friday, July 17, 2009

Sickle Cell Disease Foundation of California Camp Starts July 18

How many of us volunteer for Sickle Cell Community Awareness and Service? Some of us are often too sick to volunteer...but some of us are just too lazy.

My sister in law, Mary Brown, is the President and CEO of the Sickle Cell Foundation of California, located in Los Angeles, CA. The first and oldest foundation devoted solely to children with Sickle Cell Disease. They have been in the business for 52 years. As you all can attest to, many institutions with the purpose of finding a cure for SCD are either out of business or under funded. Most diseases affecting black people receive little support from their own community and minimum support from government. Until we raise our voices and demand support this will always be the case. Let Me Get Off My Soap Box!

My reason for posting this blog is to encourage you, your family and friends to get involved. I say this because my daughters have flown to LA every summer as volunteers at the camp. My son supports the camp when he can. They enjoy interacting with the young people who for 1 week have the opportunity to camp with those who have the disease. They feel comfortable around each other, they don't live in fear that they will be ostracized, they learn about their disease and how they and their family can advocate care and treatment during times of need. But, most importantly, they have BIG FUN! They make a video each year and give it to the kids to not only remember the good times but as a keepsake for when times are hard. The video reminds them that no matter what they go through... we have many moments of happiness.

Like many of us, challenges will always be ahead. Just this week...two days before camp the Foundation was vandalized and all of the Lap tops were stolen from the office. In addition funding the camp was touch and go and even I wrote letters to the Food Network and Oprah to help with finding the funds needed to help with food and a Cook for the Camp. To say the least, no one responded to my plea. Yet, I was willing to try anything to help the camp. You see, when I was young there was no camp(s). I had no one to talk too. No one who could understand what I was going through.

I am sure there are many organizations or non profits who support SCD. I have one which is my favorite. If you would like to donate please call Mary Brown. (310) 693-0247 or write to her at 6144 Bristol Pkwy, Suite 240, Culver City, CA 90230.

No comments:

Post a Comment