Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Some Good Things Turn Out...Not So Good

I visited my Doctor on Monday, July 27th, to seek out why my port wound would not heal. You see it's been over 10 days since it was placed in the upper right side of my chest. Well, my Doctor informed me that I needed to go back to Intervention Radiology and let them determine whether it will heal or need to be taken out. I hate going back to the hospital...I try to stay as far away from hospitals as I can. This illustrates how we sometimes feel jerked around. My biggest concern is whether this much activity will set my recovery back or for that matter bring on a Crisis. Go figure...

I checked into the hospital today (July 29 my sons 26th b'day) to get my port removed. My incision will not heal. Because I am on a blood thinner (warfarin), they had to draw my blood to determine my PT/INR, which measures bleeding time. I waited on the gurney for them to come back with an update. One of the PA's came in and acknowledged that my warfarin levels were high and therefore I would be given fresh frozen plasma (FFP) in order to keep my bleeding controlled during the removal of the port. I was given two bags of FFP and went to the OR suite.

As they prepped me for the port removal, I could not help but let them know how dismayed I was and that I hoped the removal goes smoother than the placement. After about 20 minutes I was back in my station waiting for the Versed/Fentanyl injection to wear off. I was released around 5:00 pm. On my ride home I thought about how much we are on the battle field. Oh well, at least this saga is over. Now it's time for healing.

The link below will connect you to the Howard University, Stamp Out Sickle Cell Walk to be held September 19. Your can also find out what other cities are doing for Sickle Cell Awareness Month.

http://www.soswalk.org/

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete