Friday, June 5, 2009

Speak Out Speak Up!

Men are very introverted when it comes to discussing their ailments or diseases. I never let anyone who did not need to know that I had Sickle Cell Anemia. As a matter of fact, I didn’t know until I attended Howard University and was told by the infirmary. I didn’t even discuss it with my family or relatives. What makes this disease so aloof to the public? Is it because we are; embarrassed, in denial, afraid or resentful? Most men have a desire to be control. Those with this disease realize at some point that they must rely on someone. Does this make us less than a “Man”?


You see when I was growing up there were rumors when I had crisis that I had a blood disorder which was fatal and I would not live longer than 15 years. When I reached that plateau the age was adjusted to 18 then 25 and so on. I always tried to prove this age related indices were wrong because I wanted to beat the odds. To say the least the median mortality of those with Sickle Cell has increased beyond the age of 50 today thanks to screening, early diagnosis, and treatment.


As we men get older do we speak out and help those young men who find themselves experiencing moments of uncertainty and challenges we survivors have confronted? Do we talk to each other? Do we support each other? Do we seek to help find a cure? I would argue, the answer is a resounding NO. If all truth be told, we sit in our Hematologist or Internist office and never speak to the patient beside us. What strikes me as irony is we observe men and women with cancer who carry on conversations about their disease and treatment in constant search of trying to find comfort, cures, and coping mechanism as it relates to their condition.


We Must Speak Out…We Must Speak Up!

No comments:

Post a Comment