Thursday, June 11, 2009

Do Black Men Die Young?

“Do You Live to Work or Work to Live?”

I asked my Dr. to help me publicize this blog to Male’s with Sickle Cell Anemia because I wanted men to have a voice in discussing treatment, survival, and participate in finding a cure. He said to me, “the reason you don’t hear from men is because there aren’t very many in my practice living. They don’t survive as long as women.” I was shocked to hear such a matter of fact comment. He went on to say that this would be an interesting research project. What do you think?

I don’t believe that I have ever run across a definitive study which stated the mortality rate for men did not exceed the median age of 47 or that men did not live as long as women. I am 54 and I feel really blessed. I attribute my survival to the many good Physician’s and ancillary care provided to me by my family. I informed him if not for the combined efforts of all, I would not have worked for 28 years. That’s when he said, that begs the question, “Do You Live to Work,… Or Work to Live?” I thought that probed to the heart of what we are searching for.

Do men with Sickle Cell have adequate support? Do we shun help from others because we don’t want to ask for it? Do we ignore our Physician’s advise,…treatment? Do we get adequate treatment from our health care providers? Do we give up whereas women fight harder?

These are the questions we need to talk about…someone comment on this phenomenon….

No comments:

Post a Comment